Saturday, March 19, 2016

Part of Me

This is me
First things first, I would like to introduce myself. My name is Gabriella. I am sure that you must wonder how short my name is. In fact, I do not have any last name, but that makes me unique. I am an Indonesian and I come from a city in East Java, called Malang. I will be 19 years old next month, exactly on April Fool’s Day. In spite of being born at the same time as that day, I hope that my life is not a mere silly trick. 


I go to Widya Mandala Catholic University, which is located in Surabaya. Therefore, I moved to Surabaya and I have been living here for almost a year. Now, I am in the second semester in the English Department of Teacher Training Faculty. In my opinion, learning English is difficult but very exciting. On the other hand, I’d better have sophisticated approach to become a qualified teacher. 


If I can finish my education on time, I will successfully become a tough girl and win over myself. In fact, it is hard to win over myself as sometimes I can be so pessimistic that I will be lying in my bed all day without doing anything. I can get distressed very easily because I often overthink things. However, I am able to overcome those things by giving my best effort and others’ help.


I have an effective way to help me relax from a lot of stressful assignments and my unpredictable life. I am really keen on listening to music. There is not a day without listening to my favorite songs and sometimes I even sing to complete my enjoyment. My favorite singers and bands are Owl City, The Script, Coldplay, Taylor Swift, Maroon5, etc. Recently, I have been listening to Troye Sivan’s songs, which are suggested by Widi, my classmate. The lyrics of his songs are completely mind-blowing because they are full of deep meanings. 


I am easily captivated by poetic lyrics, which are filled with rhymes and meaningful words encouraging individually interpretation. Because of those lyrics, now I start to read some poems and they are very complicated to comprehend, but I am challenged to find out the real meanings. I am interested to write a poem and prose as well in spite of its difficulties. 


In addition, I also enjoy reading some novels such as “The Chronicles of Narnia” by C. S. Lewis and the trilogy of “The Wolves of Mercy Falls” by Maggie Stiefvater. I once read an awesome novel, entitled “Neverwhere”, that was written by Neil Gaiman. I spent more than 6 months to finish that novel. I think it is the most difficult novel which I have read since the writer used complicated and advanced words in English.


Whenever I have a lot of leisure time, I am fond of watching Korean dramas. Some friends of mine have the same interest in Korean dramas, so we like sharing new dramas with each other and talking about Korean actors, actresses, and even singers. Although I like it very much, I still consider Hollywood movies as the best movies in the world. I suppose that those movies are worth watching because of their outstanding quality.


While I am watching my favorite movies, I love eating some snacks. I like eating savory food, for instance, lasagna, meatballs, and noodles. Most girls enjoy eating sour and spicy food such as rujak manis in Indonesia, but I cannot stand eating that sort of food. I also hate eating mango and starfruit. Most of all, I love my mother’s cuisine as she is the best cook for me.


I have some close friends in class. Their names are Pipit, Osa, Tina, and Ammy. We like eating our lunch together and telling stories about our daily life. They are not completely good friends because they can be so annoying once in a while. Despite that fact, I just feel comfortable when I am around them.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG, You mentioned my name! Hahahaha.. I'm sure you can finish your education on time, Gab. I like the way you write. You always use some beautiful words. I think you should try to write a novel.

    ReplyDelete